The Martello Tower
Along the coast of early 1900 strong round towers were built by the military under the National Defence Act 1804.
On the island of Corsica on the 9th of September 1794 , a British force attacked the French headland of cape Martello.
TheBritish military were so impressed by the defence that they built their own towers .
The forts were positioned about a quarter of a mile apart along the Dublin coast. Each tower has a water reservoir and the walls are eight feet thick.
The interior had three storeys. The ground floor for holding ammunition, stores and provisions.
The first floor - living quarters for the garrisons. 24 -pounder cannon mounted on the top floor; on a traversing carriage.
This ensured that the cannon could be pointed in any direction.
The parapet about 4 feet high was where the defenders could fire muskets, loopholes for the discharge of carronades.
The carronade was a deadly weapon at close range, loaded with musket balls, grapeshot, lengths of chain and scrap.
he Martello tower floors, instead of having metal nails, have wooden nails because in times of war a spark could be caused by metal nails and start a fire.
The Tower is overlooking the Irish Sea and can be walked arround, it is ownership of Brenda Nagle, and used to be rented for short breaks.