History: Macalister/1945, 20--21, the stone's `existence has been known since about the middle of last century.
The only record of it is a very rough sketch by Rev. J. Shearman ... In a note upon the sketch are the words, in Shearman'shandwritting
"Fragments of an Ogham stone, formerly standing beside St. Marnock's well, near Malahide, Co. Dublin" and the date "June 8th, 1868." ... The stone was broken up some time after the above date, and the fragments dispersed, apparently for building material'.
Dimensions: 0.0 x 0.0 x 0.0 (Unknown)
Setting: Lost (present, missing)
Macalister/1945, 21: `The stone was broken up ... apparently for building material'.
Form: Incomplete Information
Condition: n/a , n/a
`The stone was broken up some time after the above date , and the fragments dispersed, apparently for building material'.
Folklore: Macalister/1945, 21:
`A key-hole shaped opening in the sinister side of the drawing labelled `St Marnock's fingers''.
Decorations: no other decoration
Fingal County Council January Monthly Council Meeting
The matter was considered in January and the following is from the the Minutes of the meeting:
RESTORATION OF ST. MARNOCK’S CEMETERY AND WELL
It was proposed by Councillor P.Coyle and seconded by Councillor D.O’Brien :
That the old St Marnock’s Cemetery (adjacent to Strand Road, Portmarnock) and St. Marnock’s Well be examined and recommendations drawn up for restoration and long term maintenance, under the Heritage/Conservation Programme"
The following report by the Manager was READ:
“A site visit was carried out in late March 2006 by the Conservation Research Officer, with regard to the banking of sand/earth on the golf course close to the graveyard walls and to assess the current state of St. Marnock’s Well.
The Conservation Research Officer was unable to determine the exact location of St. Marnock’s Well at this time as there is no visible trace above ground and was therefore unable to assess its current state. A local landowner is reputed to have destroyed the well in the middle of the 19th century.
The church and gaveyard site is in private ownership. Both it and the well are Protected Structures and Recorded Monuments. Therefore, any plans for the restoration of the well and works to the graveyard of church would have to be acceptable to the National Monuments Section of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government and would have to be agreed to by the actual owners of the site.
A historic description of the well indicates that it had a larger circular pool with sixteen steps leading down to it, with an old willow tree bent over it. The restoration of the well as described may not be appropriate or feasible, however the Conservation Officer will seek to arrange a meeting between the National Monuments Area Archaeologist, the land owner, as well as Council staff to discuss this matter and the issue of the long term maintenance of the site.”
It was AGREED that Ms. Fionnuala May, Senior Architect, will report back to the Area Committee following discussion with the Heritage Officer and district archaeologist.
Cllr: Peter Coyle (Lab)
Portmarnock 02 June 2007